Apples are a treat in sweet desserts, such as crisps, cakes, and pies. But apple can be a wonder in many savory ways. You can decide to have it in salads, combine it with pork, or pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich to enjoy the crispy bite.
To walk the positive path means looking for more than one way to discover sweetness in every apple bite. So, don’t you think it would be inspiring to use your apples for a savory treat outside the normal dessert zone?
In this article, you will learn how to incorporate apples into a savory treat in more than one o two ways.
Cook With Apples
Apples are primarily associated with desserts when cooking is mentioned. However, apples have a sweet-tart taste that can go a long way in giving your dishes a savory edge. What more exciting is that you can get creative with this fall fruit and use it in many ways.
Apples can add a spin to any salad. The crispy flavor will add texture to your favorite salad. Additionally, you can pair apples with cabbage or toss their slices into slaws to turn your green salad into a unique crunch.
Do you want to add texture and complexity to your favorite sandwich? Use apples. You can add slices of apple to your ham and brie and enjoy the delicious combo.
Apple combines well with pork, vegetables, and cream. You can also roast sausages with apples as one of your easy weekend recipes.
Yes, you stuff apples with flavorful fillings and enjoy a simple but delicious meal.
Two Satisfying Dishes
Apples offer a delicious accompaniment in every dish due to their sweet, crunchy taste. Here are two great recipes you can try.
Hint: always ensure you store your apples well. Consider washing and keeping in a freezer until needed. Additionally, improve your health by using clean water for cooking. At the end of the day, you will always need clean, fresh water in your home for more than just cooking.
- Cheddar, Apple, and Pastrami Grilled Cheese
What you need:
- 3 tbs. butter (preferably apple butter)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Thin slices of apple
- 0.5 tsp. honey
- 2 cups thinly sliced or grated aged white Cheddar
- Kosher salt
- 4.5-inch sliced sourdough bread
- 2 oz. grated pastrami
- 3 tbs. unsalted butter
How to Cook
- Use a small bowl to mix the apple butter, mustard, honey, and a pinch of kosher salt.
- Spread the mixture on two slices of bread and use half of the pastrami and cheese to top it up.
- Again, top it with a layer of your sliced apple and the remaining cheese.
- Top with two slices of bread to make a sandwich.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a skillet until brown.
- Add the sandwich to the melted butter and cook. Remember to adjust the heat as you deem necessary. Flip the sandwich, add the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook.
- Slice the sandwich and enjoy.
This sandwich comes with a crispy apple flavor. You may want to use thick slices of bread for a better taste.
- Smoked Trout with Apple and Crème Fraîche
What you need:
- 2 sweet apples
- 3 tbs. fresh chives (sliced thinly)
- 0.25 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. smoked trout
- 1 lemon (preferably a medium-sized one)
- 2 tbs. roasted walnut oil
- 0.25 cup crème fraîche
How to Cook
- Slice the apple into twelve rounds, then cut every round into half.
- Remove skin from the trout and peel its flesh. Toss the flesh with walnut oil, black pepper, and chives.
- Spread the trout mixture along with apple slices. Top each slice with crème fraîche, and then grate the zest from the lemon over it.
- Serve and enjoy
In this dish, the apple acts as a creative alternative to crackers. The meal is even better if you use a firm apple like a honey apple.
Apples can be a great accompaniment to any dish, leave alone salads and other desserts. You can try out these flavorful apple dishes any time to celebrate fall on your plate. That is not all, there are many other ways of enjoying apples, and you can always find out on our website.